Applying for an Area of Need Determination
If a location is not currently considered an Area of Need (AoN), the service/organisation can submit an application to the Chief Medical Officer in WA Health for an AoN determination.
An AoN application can only be submitted for a vacant medical position which cannot be filled through standard recruitment processes within Australia. A vacancy exists if there is a funded position available which would be immediately filled if an Australian-trained medical practitioner, or an international medical graduate (IMG) with general registration, could be recruited.
Employers submitting an application for determination on AoN status are expected to provide documentation which demonstrates that:
- a genuine funded position exists
- the provision of medical services would fall below an acceptable level if the vacancy is not filled
- the market has been sufficiently tested (e.g. through state and national advertising) and no appropriately qualified and registered medical practitioner has been identified for the position
It is recommended that employers commence the AoN application process well in advance of, or at least in parallel with, the recruitment process to provide sufficient time to collate the required supporting documentation.
AoN determinations are granted for one to five years depending on the circumstances on which the determination is based. Once elapsed, if the employer wishes the AoN determination to continue so that IMGs can continue to be employed at that location, it is the responsibility of the service/organisation to submit a new AoN application to WA Health.
If an application for AoN is unsuccessful, the applicant can appeal in writing to WA Health.
Policy, forms and templates
Employers preparing an application for AoN determination should refer to the following documents.
Policy and application forms
- Area of Need Policy and Guidelines (PDF 486KB) provides an overview of the AoN program.
- Area of Need Supporting Documents (PDF 679KB) – includes detail on how to apply for AoN.
- Area of Need Forms (PDF 359KB) – includes an AoN application form and an evidence of need form, that are required for all AoN applications.
More information for employers:
- Employing an international medical graduate
- What is an Area of Need?
- What is a District of Workforce Shortage?
- Recruiting an international medical graduate
- Area of Need Database (PDF)
File FormatsSome documents for download on this website are in a Portable Document Format (PDF). To read these files you might need to download Adobe® Acrobat Reader.